Setting Achievable Goals
“A goal without a plan is simply a wish.”
Why set goals in the first place?
Setting goals and taking steps toward achieving goals is a part of the foundation of human growth. Goals can be focused on relationships, finances, health, business, etc. Goals are meant to guide us to take positive steps in a forward direction and give us a sense of accomplishment when we do achieve them.
I always set goals and never seem to achieve them.
The main reason people do not achieve their goals is that they set the wrong goal. It is important to set goals that are aligned with your core values. Even if you do not achieve the set goal, if it is aligned with your core values, you will enjoy the process and not feel like you have failed or wasted time. Also, going through the process alone can make it challenging. Have a solid support structure to help when you are not feeling up to it. Another helpful tip is to focus on one or two big goals for the year. If you have too many goals it can become overwhelming and you are sure to fail. Keeping focused on one or two goals for the year makes it easier to manage your time working on these goals and not feel like you are spreading yourself thin.
Where to start:
- Write clear and measurable goals. It is important to have a clear understanding of what you are attempting to accomplish. It has been shown that you are 42% more likely to achieve a goal if you write it down.
- Create a specific action plan for each goal. Breaking bigger goals into smaller steps can make it feel easier getting to the end.
- Read your goals daily and visualize yourself accomplishing them. Keeping your goals top of mind is a sure way to not lose sight of what you are working toward. Visualizing yourself as the person you will be when the goal is achieved helps to set yourself up for becoming that person.
- Reflect on your progress. As you move through the process, reflect on what you have achieved along the way and give yourself a sense of accomplishment.
- Celebrate your accomplishments. Celebrate yourself along the way and reward yourself during the process. After all, you’ve earned it!